Able Danger Blog


Click here to order Triple Cross in paperback now

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Sandy Berger hosts fundraiser for Weldon's opponent

What a surprise:

Clinton national security adviser Sandy Berger helped host a Washington fund-raising event last week for Sestak. Weldon said Sestak should not have accepted aid from Berger because Berger pleaded guilty last year to removing classified documents from the National Archives.


UPDATE: Here is some background on Sandy Berger and Able Danger:

Of course, the first thing that lept to my mind was that, if true, this could possibly have been the motive behind former Clinton National Security Advisor Sandy "docs in his socks" Berger's inexplicable actions in removing classified documents at the National Archives at about the same time as the 9/11 Commission was reviewing documents associated with terrorism.

I know this is a loose association on my part, but it seems to me that if anyone in the Clinton adminsitration knew about Able Danger, it would have been Mr. Berger as National Security Advisor. A revelation that he was behind the decision not to allow military intelligence to pass on information to law enforcement officials about a terror cell that included Atta and other 9/11 murderers provides the first, possibly significant motive for Berger's bizarre behavior in spring of 2004....


More on the fundraiser from the Delco Times last week:

Several members of President Bill Clinton’s national security team are hosting a Washington fund-raiser tonight for retired Vice Adm. Joseph Sestak Jr., the Democrat running against U.S. Rep. Curt Weldon in November.

Officials at Sestak’s campaign headquarters in Media will not comment on the event, though an invitation sent out to potential donors and obtained by the Daily Times lists Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger as a host.

"As a general rule, campaigns don’t comment on fund-raisers or people who hold them," said Sestak’s campaign chairman, Myles Duffy.


Unless of course their name is John Kerry. From Sestak's website:

Two area military veterans hoping to unseat Republican members of Congress in November are getting a national plug from Sen. John Kerry.

In an e-mail to be sent today to three million people, the former Democratic presidential nominee will urge support for three congressional candidates, including Iraq war veteran Patrick Murphy and retired Vice Adm. Joseph A. Sestak Jr., according to David Wade, Kerry's press secretary. The message asks for donations and says: "Tell Iraq war veterans that we've got their back."


Remember, Sestak did not actually serve in the Iraq War. Anyway, Judi McLeod has more details:

"I don’t know why this fund-raiser is so secretive–other than the fact that it is a fund-raiser hosted by a convicted felon, a man convicted of destroying information dealing with pre-9/11 intelligence," said Russ Caso, Weldon’s chief of staff....

Last night’s soiree, held at the Connecticut Avenue law office of Harold Ickes and Janice Enright, asked for individual contributions ranging from $250 to $2,100. Ickes, a labor attorney and former top aide to President Clinton, was a strategist for Hillary Clinton’s 2000 Senate campaign. Enright, a lobbyist, who works with Ickes, is the treasurer of Sen. Clinton’s 2006 re-election committee....

Like the proverbial dog with the bone, Weldon keeps talking about Able Danger even though he’s not getting much support to keep Able Danger before the public eye from his fellow Republicans. In a February 2006 interview, he told Canada Free Press, "I’ll never give up."

If there is one thing that Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger and Company do not need out there, it’s the Double O Seven of American Congress, Curt Weldon keeping Able Danger alive.